Mt. Esja Ultra Marathon is the most difficult mountain race in Iceland and will be held for the tenth time on the 19th of June 2020. It was chosen „The race of the year" 2012, 2013 and 2015 at hlaup.is.
THE RACE STARTS AT ESJUSTOFA (ALL DISTANCES).
- Mt. Esja Marathon: 45 km, 3500m vertical gain – Price: 14.900 ISK
- Mt. Esja Ultra II, two laps: 14 km, vertical gain 1200m - Price: 6.900 ISK
- THE ROCK Vertical race: 3 km, vertical gain 600m - Price: 3.900 ISK
- Adventure youth race in the Esja forest: 2 km with little elevation gain – 1.500 ISK
Registration will open at noon on the 15th of January, see top of this page. Registration ends when the race sells out or 12:00 Friday the 18th of June.
Those running the Mt. Esja Marathon need to check in with the race director at the starting point at least 30 min before the race.
The marathon course is technical and the weather can be extremely challenging. We advise runners to study the course beforehand and use a GPS track in case of fog.
- Mt. Esja Marathon at 8:00 am
- The Rock Vertical at 11:00 am
- Adventure youth race at 12:00 pm
- Mt. Esja Ultra II, 14km at 1:00 pm
All participants must sign a declaration confirming that they are physically and mentally fit to compete and that they have prepared sufficiently well to finish within given time limits.
Terms of the race
Each runner agrees to:
- Do appropriate training to be able to finish within time limit.
- Runners oblige to compete in a civilized manner and keep true to organized paths.
- Respect the nature. It is strictly forbidden to throw garbage of any kind on the course, except at Esjustofa (at startpoint)
- Be dressed according to weather and weather forecast
- Bring sufficient nutrition and liquid for the entire race
- Respect rules about personal assistance. Each runner can accept assistance from one person at a time regarding gear and nutrition in a specially reserved zone at Esjustofa. It is forbidden to accept assistance in other places in the race except in an emergency
- Show other competitors and visitors in Mt.Esja respect on the route.
- To wear the race bib on the chest or the stomach. The bib must be fully visible throughout the entire race.
- To register at given checkpoints (Steinn and Esjustofa) in each lap.
- It is essential that each runner helps anybody in need and until appropriate help is available.
- Race director is not responsible for competitors in regards to weather conditions and/or natural disasters.
- Runners are at own risk during the race and are encouraged to seek appropriate assistance in the case of accidents, injuries or illness.
- Race director can and will dismiss anyone who does not obey the rules of the race.
- Race director is in full right to cancel or bring a halt to the race due to external conditions or reasons.
Age limits and qualifications
- The Rock: 14 years
- Mt. Esja Ultra 14 km: 16 years
- Mt. Esja Marathon: 18 years
Recommended obligatory gear
Race director strongly recommends the following gear (obligatory gear for runners competing in the Marathon):
- Personal cup to drink liquid at aid stations and to get water in the brook
- Survival blanket
- Mobile phone
- 0,5-1 liter of liquid
- Sufficient nutrition and liquid for each lap
- Adhesive or/and elastic band for making a bandage or a strapping
- Waterproof and breathable jacket
- Warm hat and warm gloves
- Walking poles
- Water belt and/or camel bag
- Cap or Buff
- Bandage for blisters and sore feet
It will be possible to store extra equipment in a specially marked zone at Esjustofa. Runners are allowed to seek assistance from one external person. It's crucial that runners plan nutrition, equipment, running gear and assistance before the race.
Runners need to bring with them their own nutrition that will cover them the whole race.
- The Rock: 1,5 hours
- Mt. Esja Ultra 14 km: 4 hours
- Mt. Esja Marathon: 8 hours before the last climb (4pm)
If you have any questions about the race and registration please contact race directors:
Below you find map of the courses in the Mt. Esja Ultra Race and elevation charts.